Telescope Lending Program
CHERRY SPRINGS STATE PARK ASTRONOMY KIT
The Kit may be checked out by a Genesee Area library cardholder who is 18 years of age or older, who has been a cardholder for at least one year and is in good standing. Cardholder must present valid photo identification with current address before checking out the telescope. Staff will make a photocopy of patron’s photo identification and keep it on file until the Kit is returned.
- The patron will sign an Astronomy Kit Borrowing Agreement each time they check out the Kit.
- The Kit will circulate for up to 7 days and must be handed directly to a Genesee Area Library staff member when returned. The Kit must be returned INSIDE the library and cannot be returned in the library book drop or at a time when the library is not open.
- The Astronomy Kit must be checked out and returned at the Genesee Area Library ONLY.
- The overdue fine for the Astronomy Kit is $5.00 per day.
- If the Astronomy Kit is not returned within 2 weeks of its due date, the patron will be charged $500 to cover replacement costs.
- If the Telescope or any of the other contents of the Kit are damaged, a fee will be determined by Genesee Area Library and Cherry Springs State Park personnel based on the cost of repairing or replacing the item(s). This fee will be charged to the patron.
- The patron who checks out the Astronomy Kit from the library is not permitted to lend any of the contents of the Kit to anyone while the Kit is in his/her possession. The patron who checked out the Astronomy Kit is responsible for it during the time it is checked out to him/her.
- Children must be supervised while using the telescope and other equipment.
- Treat the telescope and other contents of the Kit with respect and care.
- DO NOT MAKE ANY ADJUSTMENTS TO THE EQUIPMENT. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLEAN THE EQUIPMENT. Cherry Springs State Park Staff will handle all maintenance of the equipment.
- Return all contents of the Kit when you bring it back to the library. Patrons will be charged for missing items.
- DO NOT LOOK AT THE SUN WITH THE TELESCOPE; DOING THIS CAN BLIND THE USER. NEITHER THE GENESEE AREA LIBRARY NOR CHERRY SPRINGS STATE PARK IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES A PATRON INFLICTS UPON ONESELF OR THE TELESCOPE.
- Have fun with the Astronomy Kit and feel free to call the library with any questions!
- Any situation not covered by this policy will be reviewed and acted upon by the Genesee Area Library Board of Trustees in its sole discretion.